What happens to your body when you start keto diet
The Ketogenic or keto diet is a diet plan with low carbohydrates and high fats, proteins intake. Keto diet forces the body into a state of Ketosis. Ketogenic diet resembles Atkins and Low carbohydrate diet.
When keto diet is started carbohydrate intake is strictly prohibited and is replaced by fats. The reduction of carbs pushes the body into the state of ketosis. Molecule known as ketosis build in blood stream when the body is on extremely low carbohydrate diet is known as the state of ketosis. Ketosis actually is benign form of ketoacidosis. People with type 1 diabetes are affected with ketoacidosis and the leading cause of death of diabetic people under the age 24
During keto diet blood sugar level drop due to low carbohydrate so the body begins to break down the fats for supplying energy to the cells of the body. When the body becomes efficient in fat burning the fats in liver are also turned into ketones which gives energy to the brain. The reduction in blood sugar and insulin level with increased ketones has many benefits for the health.
Different Types of Ketogenic Diets
Various versions of keto diet are available, including
Standard keto diet(SKD): SKD Keto diet a person consumes 5% carbs, 20% proteins and 75% fat. The intake of carbs are very low, protein is moderate and fat intake is very high.
High-protein keto diet: it resembles standard keto diet but the protein level is kept high. 5%carbs, 35% protein and 60% fats are taken
Clinical keto diet (CKD): the diet is taken in cycles, after 5 ketogenic diet days are followed by 2 high carb days.
Targeted keto diet (TKD): more carbs can be added while working out.
Food to eat
- Seafood: Fish and shellfish wild-caught salmon, tuna, herring and mackerel are very keto-friendly foods. …
- Low-Carb Vegetables: Greens, broccoli, tomatoes, mushrooms, onions and peppers.
- Avocados: Full avocados can be used withal foods
- Meat: red meat, ham, sausages, stake bacon
- Poultry: chicken , turkey
- Eggs: boiled or in any form
- Healthy oils: Coconut Oil. olive oil, avocado oil, coconut butter and sesame oil.
- Plain Greek Yogurt and cream, butter
- Cheese: cheddar, goat, cream, blue or mozzarella, Cottage
- Nuts: almonds, walnuts, pumpkin seeds, peanuts, chia seeds and flaxseeds.
- Condiments:Salt, pepper, vinegar, lemon juice, fresh herbs and spices.
Food to avoid
- Bread and baked goods:White bread, whole-wheat bread, crackers, cookies, doughnuts and rolls contains high levels of carbs.
- Sweets and sugary foods:Sugar, ice cream, candy, maple syrup, agave syrup and coconut sugar.
- Beverages:Soda, fruit juice, sweetened teas and sports drinks.
- Pasta: Spaghetti and noodles.
- Grains:Wheat, rice, oats, breakfast cereals and tortillas.
- Starchy vegetables: Potatoes, sweet potatoes, butternut squash, corn, peas and pumpkin.
- Beans and legumes:Black beans, chickpeas, lentils and kidney beans.
- Fruit:Citrus, grapes, bananas and pineapple.
- High-carb sauces:Barbecue sauce, sugary salad dressings and dipping sauces and mayonnaise.
- Certain alcoholic beverages:most of alcoholic beverages contain high amounts of carbs and greatly affects ketosis
- Root vegetables and tubers: Potatoes, sweet potatoes, carrots, parsnips, etc.
Keto snacks can be taken between meals if you get hungry
- Fatty meat or fish
- A handful of nuts or seeds
- Cheese with olives
- 1–2 hard-boiled eggs
- dark chocolate
- milkshake with almond milk, cocoa powder and nut butter having low-carb
- nut butter and cocoa powder mixed with Full-fat yogurt
- cream and strawberries
- Guacamole and Celery with salsa
Benefits of ketogenic diet
A number of different benefits of keto are observed in people following keto diet
Medical benefits of keto diet
- Heart disease:while following keto diet risk of suffering from heart diseases reduces as the body fats are consumed cholesterol,HDL and sugar level drop in the blood
- Cancer: keto diet is being used to cure many types of cancer and tumors.
- Alzheimer’s disease: the symptoms are observed to be reduced during keto diet and reduces its advancement.
- Epilepsy:the reduction of seizures in epileptic children had been seen during the research when having ketogenic diet
- Parkinson’s disease:it was seen during a research that symptoms of Parkinson’s disease were improved.
- Polycystic ovary syndrome: while following keto diet the insulin level drops which has a key role in polycystic ovary syndrome.
Research shows that ketogenic diet is far more effective that other low fat diets as it includes more protein intake which has numerous positive effects on the body.
Aids in weight loss
To loose weight and reduce health risks ketogenic is an efficient solution. A study concluded that people on ketogenic diet lost weight 2.2 times faster than people on other calorie restricted or fat restricted diets. Triglyceride and HDL were also seen to improved. In another study it was observed that people on keto diet lost weight 3 times faster that than the diets recommended by Diabetes UK.
The body has to work more efficiently to turn fats into energy as compared to turning carbohydrates into energy, as a result speed of weight loss increases.
Acne can be due to a number of different causes most common reason of acne can diet and blood sugars. Blood sugar alteration and gut bacteria changes are caused by having diet rich in processed and refined carbohydrates which can have an effect on your skin. Ketogenic diet is low in carb intake therefore it results in reducing acne in some cases. Top of Form
Risks and complications
Many health benefits of ketogenic diet can be seen but having a ketogenic diet of longer period of time can also have adverse affects on your health. The risk factors include:
Acidosis (level of acids high in blood)
- Formation of kidney stones
- Muscles degeneration
- Extreme weight loss
- Low blood sugars